Monday, May 26, 2008

E.T. The Extraterrestrial

It's been more than 25 years since a wrinkled little alien was left behind on the planet Earth and befriended by a 10 year old boy named Elliott.

Tonight, after a very long time, I watched E.T. The Extraterrestrial on Nick At Night. I was pleasantly surprised how this film held up to the test of time and still oozed magic and wonder.

I remember seeing this movie as a teen. It was a time in my life where it felt my whole world was falling apart. I just lost my father and my mother was horribly injured in a car accident at the hands of a drunk driver. I remember sitting in the movie theater and I found a way to step out of reality, even f it was for just a couple hours.

Time has gone by and like so many magical things from the past I forgot about this movie and how it made me feel inside as I sat in the movie theater so many years ago.

I found myself still mesmerized when E.T. took Elliott on a magical bike ride across the moon.
My heart still choked up when Elliott, who believes E.T. has died in the hands of the government agents, tries to come to terms with his death.
I found myself remembering how I sat at the edge of my seat in the movie theater as E.T.'s rescuers raced their bikes around government agents in a heroic rescue.
But what still was the most notable moment was when Elliott says goodbye to E.T. as his spaceship awaits. The dialog between the teary eyed Elliott and the thankful alien still pulls my heartstrings as it did back then. I think it goes down as one of the most moving moments in motion picture history when E.T. tells Elliott "I'll be right here" as he touches Elliott's heart.
Not until now did I realize that dealing with the death and sudden loss of my father back then was the reason I found this so moving for me.

This movie is a pure treasure and one of my most favorite films of all time. It's simple Steven Spielberg at his best and I movie that will always be special in my heart.

1 comment:

Astro Galaxy said...

Touching post!
I love ET movie too!