Sunday, June 29, 2008

Gay Pride 2008

I remember as a child I felt different. I didn't like the feeling of being that way so I tried my best to fit in. But fitting in correctly felt so wrong.
I remember as a teenager I would go to sleep and so many times I would pray to God that I would wake up "normal".

The world around us separated us and we were placed in a category which was topped with shame, disgrace, ignorance. We were told we were all bound to burn in hell. We are living in a country where a human being could be targeted and beaten to death because of their sexual orientation and the act isn't considered a hate crime.

"Don't Let The Fear Of Rejection Keep You From Showing Up Everyday Of Your Life." was the words that changed my life forever.
These words were spoken at a eulogy for a brave young man from San Francisco that gave his life to stop terrorists on a hijacked plane on September 11, 2001. Doing so, hundreds if not thousands of lives were saved that day.This man was one of "us".

I saw how he was loved and missed by so many. I saw he was brave and happy. I saw he let nothing or no one stand in his way.
This is who I would begin to use for courage and inspiration every day of my life.
When I read about this man I suddenly knew what it was like to be a proud gay man.

I was ask recently if I could take a pill and wake up straight would I take it. As a teenager I wouldn't hesitate to say "yes" to that question. As an adult man I wouldn't hesitate to say "no".
This is who I am, right down to my soul. Unlike what so many closed minded people think, I was born this way. This is how God made me. This is how God wanted me to be.
I've met some of the most incredible people through my journey as a gay man. I had so many incredible experiences which have shaped me to who I am today.
Today I am proud of who I am.

The struggle for equality is far from over. As God is used as a mask for ignorance and hate we need to all stand together as one. The God I have faith in doesn't hate. He wouldn't punish something he created. I feel sorry for the people who worship a God of hate and vengeance.
So stand tall and proud and let no one every stand in your way from being you!

Happy Gay Pride 2008!

3 comments:

Astro Galaxy said...

Wonderful!
This is a beautiful post!
Cheers!

Joie Mayfield said...

Wow. I can't tell you how much I relate to the first two lines of this blog. It's truly a freeing feeling, being honest with who you truly are. Thanks for the reminder! :) I'm going to link you on my blog. :)

Thanks again for an amazing post.

Anonymous said...

amazing!! :)