What makes this list of horror films so special isn't just because they're scary. These movies are special because they're based on true event.
So lock your doors, turn out the lights and sit back and take a look at this list and if you hear noises in the next room, don't go look at what it is. You might not like what you find.
True story: Frank DeFelitta was inspired to write this novel and screenplay after he heard his six year old son. Who had never taken a piano lesson, play perfectly on their family piano. Someone suggested to him that his son was showing signs of a talent he had in a past life.
5. The Amityville Horror (1979): A Long Island family moves into their dream house only to discover that it's haunted by the past family who lived there and were all murdered in their sleep.
True Story: The Lutz family shocked the world with this incredible and horrifying tale after they fled their Amityville home after only a few months of moving into it. Many disputed the story but the Lutz family to this day insist it was true. True or not, the novel is as frightening as books get and the movie is very creepy.
4. The Mothman Prophecies (2002): The sighting of a strange creature foretells a oncoming tragic event whenever it is seen.
True story: In Point Pleasant, West Virginia, a creature described as seven feet tall with red eyes and wings was seen by several people from 1966 to 1967. He was last seen sitting on top of the Silver Bridge, a suspension bridge over the Ohio River, moments before it collapsed, killing dozens.
3. The Exorcism Of Emily Rose (2005): A priest is tried for murder after a young girl dies while undergoing an exorcism performed by the priest.
True story: This fact based legal case occurred when a young woman, Anneliese Michel, began acting strangely. Over time her parents became convinced that their daughter was possessed. Over 60 exorcisms were performed on her in a 10 month span. Anneliese died while being exorcised.
2. The Exorcist (1973): A movie some people consider one of the most horrifying of all times. It follows the story of a teenage girl who is possessed by the devil and the help she receives from two catholic priest. This movie is sure to keep you up with the lights on.
True story: William Peter Blatty, screenwriter and author of the novel,The Exorcist, was inspired by an article he read in college at Georgetown University about an exorcism performed on a 13-year-old boy in Mount Rainier, Maryland in 1949.
1. Psycho (1960): The terrifying story of Norman Bates, a hotel owner in a small desert town, who was obsessed with his dead mother and would wear a wig and dress and believe he was his own mother.
True story: This strange fact is the bases for the movie Psycho and also The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 1974. In 1957, Ed Gein was arrested for committing two murders and digging up the corpses of several dead women which he would skin to make “women suits”. He wold wear these suits in hopes of becoming a woman. He was found insane and spent the rest of his life in a mental institution
So there you have it. A list of some scary and yet true movies. I bet you'll never look at these movies the same again.